Sunday, July 3, 2011

Henry

I've written a lot lately about losing Shawn. And while I miss him every day of my life, I am happy and very much in love.

I met Henry only a few months after Shawn died. I met him online. I needed a friend. I needed someone who understood my pain. I needed to get away. On September 28, 2007 I drove the 2+ hours to Ft. Gordon in Augusta. We talked on the phone while I drove. He hadn't been back from Iraq long. In fact, I found out later, that he and Shawn had been deployed at the same time, and both deployed out of Germany, though different bases. When I pulled into the parking lot of his barracks I made him come outside. I don't remember what I was wearing but I do remember that he was wearing blue shorts and a white t-shirt, black Crocs. I wasn't planning to stay long. I ended up staying. I never left. He held me without question. He loved me the moment he saw me. He took care of me, and never stopped. He woke me from nightmares. He stayed up all night with me. He held me while I cried. It was awhile before I realized I was in love with him too. What not many people know is that not long before Shawn died he told me that if anything happened to him he would send someone to me, and just to wait two weeks. He was somewhat joking. But then when I met Henry I knew Shawn had meant it. Not long after I realized I was in love with Henry I had a dream. In my dream I was talking to Shawn on Yahoo messenger, just like we used to when we first met. And he sent me a message, the exact words being "Amanda, I'm ok, I am happy. Love him. He loves you so much. Let him love you and love him back. Love each other. Be happy. Me and God, we're watching over you."

I love Henry with everything I am, without limits. I wouldn't be here if not for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment